Donate to the Library
Help us inspire more minds, create more stories, and transform more lives.
Has the Cheshire Public Library touched your life or the life of someone close to you? Consider making a donation. Even $5 helps!
Your donation helps purchase materials for the library’s collection, toys and craft supplies, library furniture, and more.
When you support the library, you make a statement about the importance of the library in your life and in your community.
Don’t add to landfills by throwing out your unwanted reading material. Instead, donate your gently used books, CDs and DVDs to the Friends.
These gifts replenish our stock of merchandise for sale in the lobby and recycle the items to other people for their enjoyment and benefit. They also make our big Fall and Spring book sales a huge success.
See below for donation guidelines and instructions.
Join the Friends
Since 1887, the Friends of the Cheshire Public Library have worked to meet the funding needs of the library. The Friends provide programs, equipment, and services that would not be available through the library’s operational budget.
Donation Guidelines & Instructions
- Fiction (hardcover or paperback)
- Non-fiction books of Art, Music, History, Philosophy, Health, Humor, Psychology, Religion, Biography, Poetry, Sports, Travel, Cooking, Home and Garden, How-to-Books, Hobbies, etc.
- Children’s books for all ages.
- CDs, DVDs, and audiobooks.
- Recent textbooks
Good condition ONLY please!
Good condition means no torn pages, minimal underlining or highlighting, no marginal comments, and no musty, smoky, or moldy smells. If books have orange or black spots on the page edges, this is a sign of mold and you should discard them in the trash.
It’s easy to donate to the Friends!
- Place books and media in the Friends’ bins by the book sale area in our lobby on the main level.
- If you need a receipt for taxes, please ask at the checkout desk.
- Please DO NOT leave donations outside of the library or in our book drops. Donations should always be brought inside during the library’s open hours.
- For LARGE donations, please call the Friends to schedule and coordinate delivery at 203-272-2245 x 33035
Support the Library
We turn $1 into $10
For every dollar invested in the library, $10 is returned to the community in the form of better educational outcomes for students, enhanced job skills for residents, and even an increase in property values.
We save you money
We have books, movies, music, and access to high-speed internet. Our events, workshops, and classes are all free. The public library is one of the last places where there’s no expectation of spending money. Check out our calendar of events!
We inspire community
Libraries are important cornerstones of a healthy community. We’re a community gathering center for children, teens, seniors, and young families. We give people the opportunity to find jobs, explore research, experience new ideas, and get lost in wonderful stories.