Scarecrow Competition Rules and Guidance
Everyone is welcome to enter the scarecrow competition! Scarecrow must be displayed within Cheshire. To participate, entrants must pay a $25 entrance fee and preregister at www.cheshirect.org/parkrec by Wednesday, September 28, 2022. Contest organizers are not responsible for any damage done to property or scarecrows.
• All scarecrows should be constructed by the entrant.
• Use originality and creativity to impress the judges!
• Minimize premade materials.
• Youth entries should be made 70% by the youth themselves.
• Scarecrows must be in good taste and not offensive to any group or they may be disqualified.
• Email a photo of your scarecrow to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, October 5 to be judged and included in the slideshow. Include your name, your scarecrow’s name, and the scarecrow’s location in the email.
Public Space Rules
• Scarecrows in assigned spots can be installed beginning on Saturday, October 1 at 9:00 am. All scarecrows must be on display by 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 4.
• Use haybales, stands or tent spikes/stakes to support your scarecrow. No holes in ground or spikes/stakes longer than 8 inches are permitted for public installation spots.
• We will email you the location of your assignment on Friday, September 30.
• You must remove scarecrows in public locations by 6:00 p.m., on Sunday, October 30.
• Keep the footprint of the scarecrow to a maximum width of 6’ and maximum height of 10’.
• Organizers will produce a slideshow of all official entrants. Contestants must email a photo, filling the frame with the scarecrow to email@example.com. Include the location of your scarecrow in the body of your email.
• An online map will be available for those who like to explore the town searching for scarecrows.
• When registering, indicate where you plan to display your scarecrow. If it’s in a public space, you will be assigned a spot and emailed your location on Friday, September 30.
• Links to the scarecrow registration, guidelines, slide show, and map can be found on the Cheshire Public Library, Artsplace, Cheshire Chamber of Commerce, and Cheshire Parks and Recreation websites.
• The Scarecrow Slide Show will be created from the emailed photos and complied by the Cheshire Public Library. Links to the slide show can be found on the mentioned sites.
• Feel free to include your business, family, or organization’s name.
• Winners will be invited to a brief Award Ceremony on Sunday, November 6 at 4:00 p.m. behind Town Hall. (Rain date Sunday, November 13)